Saturday, March 26, 2016

Pick up the thread

August 10, 2011 - that's when I finished building the Phase IVs - was 1690 days (or 4 year 7 months) ago. But today I took the first concrete steps in the next phase; I bought some of the wood I need for the Phase Vs.

The woofers AC 250F1s I've had for 4 years. I was going to use Hiquphon OW1 tweeters but at $250 a pair I decided instead to go with the Vifa D27TG-45-06s, the same ones I used in the Phase IVs since I bought 6 of them during the last build (not sure why).

I had been thinking about the AC 130F1 for the mid driver but they didn't seem, on paper anyway, much better than the Scan Speak 15m-4624 I already have (from the MkIII project). First, it's cheaper to get a second Scan Speak than two AC130s and the Scan Speak has a circular chassis which makes routing it into the baffle much easier. 

So what was once going to be a no-compromise final build has turned into a more incremental evolution (though I know it will probably be the last iteration).

I'm experimenting with panels made of plywood glued to fiberboard.  I need to figure out how not to damage the veneer on the panels while I'm building the enclosures. Other than that next weekend it's off to the races.      

No comments:

Post a Comment